The Sermon the Mount – Jesus Lays Out a Better Way
The First in the A Better Way Series
Jesus’ sermon on the mount utters some of the most amazing sentences ever uttered, in which Jesus lays out a better way.
- 110 verses long. Matthew 5:1-7:29
- Some of the most beautiful sentences ever uttered in man’s hearing
Jesus Lays Out a Better Way
- To live. To relate to his fellow man.
- To worship and serve God
This settings for this sermon:
- He preaches this near the beginning of his public ministry.
- Jesus has been teaching multitudes of people in Galilee. Matthew 4:23-25
- He preaches to people from all walks of life.
- He preaches to people from all of Palestine.
▬ A Better Teacher
- Authority as son of God.
- Who better to teach man about God?
▬ A Better Classroom
- No ivory tower. No craggy cave in mountain top.
- Among the people. Any who were willing to listen.
▬ A Better Attitude
- The attitudes that should BE in you.
- Mind of Christ. Philippians 2:5
- Blessed. Happy. Not just an emotion.
- Or else how could you be happy and mourn at the same time? Or when persecuted?
- overall happiness / joy that stems from the recognition of our relationship with God.
- It carries the idea of being spiritually blessed
Poor in Spirit – Matthew 5:3
- Humble. Depends on God. Knows his own inadequacy. Depends upon God’s grace
- Recognizes w/ Jeremiah. Jeremiah 10:23
- Understands w/ Solomon. Proverbs 14:12
- Knows the way up is down. James 4:10
- Like a child. Matthew 18:3-4
- Of such is Kingdom Matthew 19:14
- Jesus’ example. Philippians 2:6-8
Mournful – Matthew 5:4
- Mourns over sin.
- Knows the extent of sin. Romans 3:23
- The wages of sin. Romans 6:23
- Knows that it was my sin that put Jesus on the cross. Isaiah 53:5-6
- Repents! Comforted – knowing that Jesus was willing to make the sacrifice!
Meek – Matthew 5:5
- Meekness does not come from weakness!!
- The meek is one who exercises restraint.
- The meek is one who is submissive to God’s will.
- Jesus did not want to die on the cross. He submitted himself to the father’s will. Matthew 26:39
- His meekness certainly did not come from weakness! Matthew 26:52-54
- The one who recognizes his need for God, and who mourns over his sin and the price that Christ paid for sin understands his need to submit to God’s will to have be cleansed from his sin.
Hungry and Thirsty – Matthew 5:6
- His need for God is desperate! He needs the spiritual sustenance only Jesus can provide.
- Righteous = acceptable to God. He wants God in his life!
- He shall be filled.
Merciful – Matthew 5:7
- Realizes that he is in the hands of a merciful God!
- Out of God’s mercy comes His grace!
- God is merciful in his love for man.
- We must be merciful to our fellow man! Galatians 6:10
- Remember the parable of the unmerciful servant? Matthew 18:23-35
Pure in Heart – Matthew 5:8
- Purity. Pure in heart = cleansed from sin.
- Robes un-spotted from the world – pure religion. James 1:27
- See God! I want to see Him and look upon his Face! 1 John 3:2-3
Peacemakers – Matthew 5:9
- We make peace through the Gospel.
- Jesus made peace b/w Jew and Gentile. b/w God and man. Ephesians 2:13-14
- Beautiful feet preach gospel of Peace. Romans 10:15
Persecuted -Matthew 5:10-12
- We will be persecuted. 2 Timothy 3:12
- Maybe even unto death. Revelation 2:10
- They persecuted Jesus. Hebrews 12:2
- Persecuted his apostles, early Christians, – you.
- They can only kill the body! Philippians 1:21 – to die is gain!
- Apostles rejoiced when persecuted. Act 5:41
A Better Example – Matthew 5:13-16
If we have these attitudes…
- We are a great example to the world!
- We show Christ living in us. Galatians 2:20
Salt – Matthew 5:13
- Must have salt to live! Will die without it.
- We must have salt in ourselves. Mark 9:50
- Salt influences and preserves – gives wonder flavor. Job 6:6
- We are not good for anything if we do not have the mind of Christ!
Light – Matthew 5:14-15
- Jesus is the Light of the world. John 8:12; John 9:5
- We are the light of the world, as we reflect His light.
- Like the moon reflects the sunlight when the sun is not visible, we reflect the “Sonlight”, though he is not physically here! His light is seen through us!
- Don’t diminish your light! Don’t hide Christ from the world!
- Glorify God, Matthew 5:16
- When they see Christ living in Us – it does not bring glory to us – Glory to God!
- Don’t be like the hypocrites in John 6!
- We do all things to the Praise of His Glory! Ephesians 1:6-7
Do you have the mind of Christ? Do you reflect His Attitude in your attitude? Do you
Are you poor in spirit? Do you mourn over sin and the price that was paid for it? Are you willing to submit to God? Are you hungry and thirsty for God’s righteousness? Are you mindful of Gods mercy and do you show it in your life, are you pure in heart and desire above all else to see God. Are you a peacemaker? Are you living your life in a way that draws others ot Christ? Are you willing to pay the price for discipleship? Mark 8:34
- Jack McNiel, Evangelist, Oak Grove Church of Christ