God's word will accomplish what He pleases.
- Isaiah 55:11
God has given us this promise that His word will not return void. He has given us this word and when it is put forth it will do something to affect the lives of the hearers.
- Romans 1:15-16
This passage perhaps should be the creed of every Christian, elder, preacher, and Christian. The power is from God. During this meeting we shall receive encouragement from the word of God.
How Old is the Earth?
Three Positions Taken
- Atheist = Believe there is not a God and can prove it.
- Agnostic = Doesn't know if there is or isn't a God.
- Theist = Knows there is a God and can prove it.
The atheist says there is no God and can prove it. There is going to be some things they have to prove it. They have to know that the universe has always existed with no assistance.
He must prove that...
- nothing has never existed
- must know the universe is self-existent
- no help at all
- They have to prove that life came from something that was dead.
Because he says the universe always existed and that life has not always existed... he must say that life comes from something dead.
They must know there is not a designer. He must know that the design of things and it's order such as the human body, which lives - could not have had a design or a designer such as God... it was all by chance.
Yet, we see design in the human body. The bone structure in all humans happens every time. Every child goes through the same design, the same process.
Evolution says that all things evolve, changes. Yet, in the body the same process repeats over and over in every human.
That designing, we know, is that God has given us that structure.
He must prove that beings, which have a conscience, came from that which had no conscience
He says that knowledge came from nothing.
This information is so ingrained in the mind, from youth up, that we have to be conscience of the misinformation given in such a way, repeated so many times, that it is believed without evidence.
How Old is the Earth?
We have a lot of Biblical evidence for the age of the earth.
From Creation to the Flood
From Genesis 1 to chapter 7, there is evidence through the genealogy for the age of the earth.
- 1,656 years
Then we have the flood.
Methuselah died the year of the flood. We don't have a lot of knowledge of what was happening, with the exception of the genealogies and that man had grown wicked.
Following the Flood
- Genesis 11:26 to Babel, 377 years.
- Genesis 11:31-Exodus 3:2, 427 years.
Through this time we have a lot of the biblical history.
Israel is now not recognized as a political power, yet, because of their size, the Pharaoh was concerned about how large.
- Exodus 14:15 - 1 Kings 6:7
From the Exodus through the Kings, and Captivity
From the exodus to the building of the temple.
Everyone was faithful during the time of Joshua and the elders, but they became unfaithful after those deaths. So there was a period of judges, then the appointment of kings.
- Through the Kings of Israel and Judah, to the Babylonian captivity - 412 Years
- From the destruction and captivity to the birth of Christ - 588 years.
From Captivity to the Birth of Christ
About a 4 year inconsistency in the time of birth of Christ to time captured as AD - 4 years.
- 3894 years.
From AD to Today,
- 2019 year 10 month 5 days.
- 5913 year 10 month 5 days.
Even if we are off by 1000 to 2000 years - this is not billions of years.
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." — Genesis 1:1
"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." — Hebrews 4:12
The Plan for Man's Salvation
- Hear the word of God, Romans 10:17
- Believe the word of God, Mark 16:16
- Repent of your sins Acts 2:38
- Confess that Jesus is the son of God Acts 8:37, Romans 10:10
- Baptism, Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, 1 Peter 3:21
- Remain Faithful, Revelation 2:10, 2 Timothy 4:4-8
Gospel Meeting, Current Issues Kevin Smith, Guest Speaker, Evangelist