"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." - Joshua 1:9
Joshua's call to serve came at a time when the Israelites were about to enter the promised land to take posession of hte land.
- A time of war
- A pivotal point int he history of the Israelites
- After death of Moses
- New leadership was needed
- Joshua was called, by God, to lead and serve, Joshua 1:1-2
A Change of Leadership, and a Change of Name
- Hoshea, desire of salvation
- Joshua, Jehovah is salvation
- Same Hebrew name as Jesus
- Numbers 14:6-10, Of the 12 spies, only he and Caleb had the faith that God would deliver them.
- Willing to Lead
- Judges 9:7, the parable of the Tree King
How Can we Be Leaders in the Church, like Joshua
Will you, like Joshua, take up the mantle of leadership?
- Joshua 1:2
- Matthew 6:3
- 2 Corinthians 8:5
- 1 Corinthians 12:12
- Joshua 1:34
Joshua Led them into the Promised Land
God promised them the promised land, and the Father led them into it, and gave them the land of promise.
- Joshua 21:33,34
Heaven is the Promised Land for the Faithful
- 1 Peter 1:3,4
- Philippians 4:13
- Hebrews 13:5,6
- 2 Timothy 3:12
- 1 Peter 5:8
- James 4:7
- Joshua 1:4, A possession awaited Joshua
- John 14:1, God prepares a possession for us as well
- Hebrews 5:9, It is reserved for the obedient
A Precept Guided Joshua
"Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them." Joshua 1:6
To be of good courage indicates that there is a strong presence of faith.
- Joshua 1:7,8
- Joshua waled in obedience to his faith, doing as God had said.
- Joshua 6 shows us that he did all that God required in the taking of Jericho.
- Joshua 7 shows that while he obeyed, others did not, Achan sinned against God's command and they all faced the consequences.
- Success was conditioned upon the strict faithfulness of obedience.
- God's way brings success.
We too, like Joshua must act in obedience.
- Joshua 24:15
We can be like Joshua leading others to Christ. We can act in obedient faith, Hebrews 11:6. We can have courage to withstand those who oppose us, Revelation 2:10. We can have an attitude like Joshua and walk in God's paths.
We must believe and be obedient to His plan of Salvation.