Open your Bibles to Romans 8 which we will touch on in a few moments. I want to talk about the blessings and responsibilities of being a part of the family of God.
Blessings of a Physical Family
- The love and care of parents
- The daily necessities of life
- Protection from dangers and problems
- The blessing of a good name
Great blessings come from having a physical family.
Responsibilities to a Physical Family
When you are in a family there are responsibilities that are part of being in that family.
- Obedience - Ephesians 6:1, Colossians 3:20, Luke 2:51
- Provision - 1 Timothy 5:8
- Respect - 1 Timohty 5:4 (Adult children are to provide for their own).
- Training and Admonition - Ephesians 6:4
A Christian is a Part of God’s Family
- Romans 8:14-17
As many as are led by the Spirit, they are the children of God.
- Romans 8:1,6
Those who walk after the Spirit are those who are obedient to God. Those that are in the flesh and walk according to the flesh are under condemnation. But, those who walk with God, there is no condemnation and they are adopted into the family of God. We are part of God's family. And, an adopted child is an heir in everyway.
- 1 Timothy 3:15
- Galatians 3:26-27
We are the children of God by faith, having chosen to walk in the faith and being obedient to His will.
Being a child of God and a joint-heir with Christ brings great blessings. But, being a child of God also carries with it certain responsibilities as well. This lesson will consider both the blessings and responsibilities of being a child of God.
The Blessings of God's Family
There are certainly many blessings of being a member of God's family.
- We Have God as Our Father
When Jesus taught His disciples to pray, He had them address the prayer to “Our Father...,” Matthew 6:9. When you think about the child of God calling God his Father, we can say, "Abba Father." That is, a personal address.
- Christians are children of God - 1 John 3:1-2
- Separate from the world - 2 Corinthians 6:14-18, James 4:4
- Led by the Spirit - Romans 8:14
- We Wear the Greatest Name
- It is the name of Christ - Philippians 2:9-10
- His disciples are to wear the name of Christ. - Acts 11:26
- Wearing the name of Christ:
- Speaks of their salvation - Acts 4:12
- Tells that they belong to Him - 1 Corinthians 6:20
- One must be baptized “in His name” in order to rightfully wear His name. - 1 Corinthians 1:10-14
- We Enjoy the Protection of God
- The child of God does not have to fear others. - Peter 3:13-14
- Even if a child of God has to suffer, he is blessed. - Matthew 5:10-12
- Jesus gives assurance of the Father’s watchful protection. - Matthew 10:27-31
- We Receive the Proper Spiritual Provisions
- Water unto eternal life - John 4:10-14
- The bread of life - John 6:51; Acts 20:32
- We Enjoy the Promises of God
- Those of the faith have been given great and precious promises. - 2 Peter 1:1-4
- These promises are sure. - 2 Peter 3:9
- Remission of past sins - Acts 2:38
- Access through prayer - 1 John 2:1-2
- Eternal life - Titus 1:1-2
We have these great promises. We also have the great blessings of being a family of God with all of the other Christians around the world. Wherever you go in the world there is that great blessing of being part of the family of God.
To enjoy the great blessings of being in the family of God, one has to be adopted into the family. How is one adopted? We've looked at some of thos things, those that are led by the Spirit of God they've received the spirit of adoption. We're led by the Spirit of God when we obey the Word of God. When we follow the teachings. Jesus said, if you love me, keep my commandments. We keep the commandments of God and that is how we show our love.
We can enjoy the great blessings, especially the blessing of eternal life as a child of God. But, we have to do as God commands in order to be His child.
Believe that He is, that Jesus is the Son of God, confess that Holy name, repent of our sins, confess the name of Jesus, be baptized to wash our sins away. Then, you are added to the body, the church of Christ, the family, the house of God.
If we can assist you in being part of the family of God, please contact us.
Based on a sermon by Gene Taylor.