Christians Live in Anticipation of the Coming of the Lord Jesus
People who major in material things of this physical universe are by death yanked, against their wills, across the threshold of eternity to meet an angry God. Like the rich farmer in Jesus’ parable who was told, “Thy soul shall be required of thee,” Luke 12:15-20. Or, the people referenced Revelation 6:17-18.
People who major in spiritual matters prepare themselves to meet God and anxiously await the second coming of Christ. Looking forward to when, “the spirit shall return to God,” Ecclesiastes 12:7. And, “Looking for and hasting unto [earnestly desiring -ASV] the coming of the day of God” 2 Peter 3:12.
Some People Look To The Coming of the Lord Jesus With Dread
- Some people want to clutch their existence on planet earth with all their might for as long as they can.
- Some religions incorporate an eternal physical existence into their religion.
- Jehovah’s Witnesses
- 144,000 only going to heaven.
- Other witnesses will live in a refurbished earth
- all non Jehovah Witnesses will face annihilation.
- This opposes what the Bible says in 2 Peter 3:10.
- to marry & have children & populate new worlds
- after this life
- Yet the Bible says in Matthew 22:30, 'or in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.'
- Jehovah’s Witnesses
- Some people are only interested in material wealth and possessions.
- The rich farmer. Luke 12:15-21
- Jesus told His disciples not to focus on their material needs, Luke 12:22-31.
- James warns against having no consideration God in our plans, James 4:13-15.
- Placing too much emphasis on material wealth leads to trouble, 1 Timothy 6:9-10.
- Some people are not prepared to meet God.
- Those who are not prepared for heaven when they meet God, Revelation 21:8.
- The unrighteous will have no place in the kingdom of God, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11.
- “Works of the flesh” VS “fruit of the Spirit” Galatians 5:19-23.
- The Lord has gone to prepare a place for His people, but He is most assuredly coming again, John 14:1-3.
- Those who oppose God will be fearful at the time of His vengeance and will cry out, Revelation 6:15-17.
Some People Look To The Coming of the Lord Jesus With Anticipation
- Paul was torn between serving Christ on earth and going to heaven to be with Christ.
- To go and be w/the Lord was far better, Philippians 1:23-24.
- Paul spoke of his imminent departure with anticipation of receiving his crown of life, 2 Timothy 4:6-8.
- First century Christians were eagerly awaiting the return of Christ.
- 2 Peter 3:12
- 1 Corinthians 1:7
- Titus 2:13
- A heavenly after-life is full of joy and happiness devoid of any regrets. It is a place where there will be…
- No tears, sorrow or pain, Revelation 21:4
- Eternal reward, Matthew 5:12
- Prepared inheritance, Matthew 25:34
- Eternal life, Matthew 25:46
- Death is not to be feared by faithful children of God, but joyfully anticipated.
- We will have a heavenly escort through the shadows of death, Psalm 23:4.
- No sting in death for the righteous, 1 Corinthians 15:54-57
- Thru the grace and mercy afforded through Christ, we can come boldly [confidently] before God, Hebrews 4:16.
We all have an an unavoidable appointment, Hebrews 9:27; 2 Corithians 5:10-11.
Christ will return, we must all face that great day. Revelation 22:7-17
Some will be unprepared to meet God in judgment and dread for eternity that unpreparedness, Revelation 22:12-15.
Some will be prepared for judgment and anxious to meet God, Revelation 22:7, 16-17. Young, middle-aged or elderly, if we are prepared to meet God, joy will overpower any sadness in departing this life.
Fortunately, if you are unprepared to meet God, as time permits, you can ready yourself even today, whether you are a non-Christian you can ready yourself even today by becoming a Christian, by obeying the gospel of Christ.
If you are a Christian who has been unfaithful, you can repent and return to the Lord.
Israel was told concerning the temporal judgment of God at the hands of Assyrians, that they should, prepare to meet thy God, Amos 4:12.
We too, are told today to be prepared to meet our God. As we faithfully watch and anticipate the return of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Even so, Come Lord Jesus.
Sources: Louis Rushmore Sermon Outline, “Even So, Come Lord Jesus” (Preaching the Whole Counsel of God, Vol. 1) edited and modified by Jack McNiel