What is Depression?
There are different kinds of depression.
- Caused by a chemical imbalance.
- Or described as worry, anxiety, sadness, feeling discourages.
"Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad." - Proverbs 12:25
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." -Matthew 11:28-30
Elijah in the Wilderness of Depression
1 Kings 19
- Threatened. vs. 1-4
- Hiding. vs. 9-13
- Depressed. v. 14
- He thought he alone was faithful to God.
The Lord's Reply
"Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him..." -1 Kings 19:18
- The same thing happens to many Christians today.
- Depression/ discouragement has led many to become unfaithful themselves.
How Elijah Got Over It
- Food. vs. 5-7
- Rest. v. 6
- Quietness. v. 8
- Work. vs. 15-16
- Fellowship. (Sent him Elisha) vs. 19-21
When you feel alone, remember"
"for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me." - Hebrews 13:5-6
When life gets you down as a Christian.
Moses in the Wilderness
Exodus 3 & 4
- Fled from Egypt. Hebrews 11:23-27
- Dwelling in Sinai Desert.
- Disillusioned? Acts 7:25
- Felt Defeated?
- Felt Rejected?
- Felt Inadequate?
If I feel inadequate
- I need stronger faith!
- God can do a lot a little!
- For when I am weak, then am I strong, 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
- Who am I? 3:1
- Who are you? 3:13
- They won't accept me. 4:1
- I'm not eloquent. 4:10
- Have faith. 3:12
- I am God. 3:14
- What is in your hand? 4:2
- Aaron will speak. 4:11-17
The Cure for those in the Wilderness of Depression
- Trust God
- Proper Diet & Rest
Israel in the Wilderness
- Lost Faith. 13:31-33
- Wandering. 14:28-29
- Ultimately died in the wilderness.
- You don't have to die in the wilderness!
- God LOVES you! You are of great Value to God! His Power is great!
- God's statement of love. Luke 4:18-19
- Our statement of love. John 14:15
Introduction adapted┬á from Mid-Mo Bible camp lesson by Jonny Scaggs on Dealing With Depression Photo by┬áFrancisco Moreno┬áon┬áUnsplash