Have you ever made a promise? Have you made one you didn’t keep? Has anyone ever made a promise to you they didn’t keep.
Promise appears more than 100 times in the Bible. But, there are more than that. There are many implied promises. There are promises of man to woman, and woman to man. And, there are promises to God and God’s promises to man.
The promises are sure. When God makes a promise, his promise is certain.
God’s Promises are Certain
- 2 Peter 1:3-4
- 1 Kings 8:56
- Romans 4:19
Abraham was absolutely certain of God’s promises. He understood that the Lord’s promises are sure.
- 2 Peter 3:9
God is always faithful to his promises.
- Hebrews 10:23
Different Kinds of Promises
Unconditional promises of God
- Genesis 9:11
- 2 Peter 3, a flood of fire, rather than a flood of water
- Matthew 25:31
- John 5:28-29
Conditional Promises of God
- Revelation 2:10
The crown of life is conditional on living a faithful life, unto death.
- 1 John 1:7
If we walk, that word IF makes it conditional. The forgiveness of sins is a conditional promise.
- Matthew 11:28-20
Rest is given to those who come to him, but you have to come to him, or you won’t find that rest.
- Matthew 6:33, conditioned upon seeking him first.
What Has God Promised Us?
- I will dwell win them, and walk in them,2 Corinthians 6:16
- I will be heir God, and they shall be my people, 6:16
- I will receive you...6:17
- And I will be a to you a Father, and ye shall be to me sons and daughters, 6:18
These are all promises of relationship. Some of God’s promises are conditional.
How do We Receive God’s Promises?
Paul gives us instructions for how we should live our lives.
Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers., 2 Corinthians 6:14
- Deuteronomy 22:10, An ox and donkey should not be yoked together.
- If a believer is bound to an unbeliever the believer can be negatively influenced.
- What fellowship has righteousness with unrighteousness? 2 Corinthians 6:14
- What fellowship has light with darkness?
- We aren’t to be involved in a relationship where a Christian is no evenly yoked with an unbeliever.
- 1 Peter 3:1-7
In most circumstances a believer should not be yoked with an unbeliever, though perhaps there are situations where the believer can have a great influence on the life of the unbeliever. Yet, it’s impossible to be yoked to the world and to God at the same time.
- Ephesians 5:7-11
Paul’s point is to warn them with entanglements with the world and be enticed to leave the promises of God which are conditional.
- 1 Peter 2:9
- 2 Corinthians 7:1
- Philippians 2:12,13
- John 14:15
Perfecting Holiness in the Fear of God
We are to look to God with reverence and fear. The main crux of this promise is that we are to be holy, separate from the world.
Key Passages to consider
- Titus 2:11,12
- 2 Corinthians 10:4,5
- 1 John 2:15
- Romans 12:1,2
- 1 Peter 1:13-16
- Matthew 6:24
- James 4:4
The way we live has an impact on our relationship with the Father.
But in order to have a relationship with the Father we must first act in obedience to his will. We have to walk in the light, being faithful children. And, continue working for the lord.
We become a child of God when we hear and believe that we repent of our sins. We stop sinning and turn and follow Christ, we must confess Jesus Christ and be baptized for the forgiveness of sins. Then, live a life that is faithful to Him.