What is PRECIOUS to You?
- PRECIOUS – of great price or worth; cherished; very highly esteemed
- To me it carries the idea of something irreplaceable.
- My wife and children are precious to me. I would not want to even think about life without them.
- Vine’s OT: (H3368), “precious; rare; excellent; weighty; noble.”
- Vine’s NT: There are several Greek words translated as “precious. ” Generally speaking they each refer to something that is costly or that is held in high honor.
- The books of 1ST & 2ND Peter use the word precious seven different times in the KJV.
Precious Jesus. 1 Pet 2:7-8
- Jesus is Precious: “the preciousness of Christ” unto believers, i.e., the honor and inestimable value of Christ as appropriated by believers, who are joined, as living stones, to Him the cornerstone.” (Vine’s)
- Jesus is Precious because of who He is. Mark 1:11
- Jesus is Precious because of what He has done. Galatians 1:3-5
- Because of where He is. Colossians 3:1-4
Precious Blood. 1 Peter 1:13-19.
- Jesus’ blood is Precious: “honor, price,” signifies (a), primarily, “accounted as of great price, precious, costly,” (Vine’s)
- It was precious to Him. Matthew 26:39
- It was precious to God. 1 Corinthians 5:7
- It should be precious to us. Ephesians 2:13
Precious Stone 1 Peter 2:1-8
- Precious: “Held in honor” (Vine’s)
- A living stone. 1 Peter 2:5 .
- A cornerstone. Acts 4:10-12.
- A foundation stone. 1 Corinthians 3:11
Precious Faith 1 Peter 1:3-9
- Our Faith is Precious: “honor, price,” signifies (a), primarily, “accounted as of great price, precious, costly,” (Vine’s)
- 2 Peter 1:1
- Because of its importance in salvation. Hebrew 11:6
- Because of its object – Jesus/God. 1 Peter 1:20-21.
Precious Spirit. 1 Peter 3:1-6 NKJV
- “very precious in the sight of God.” v 4.
- Incorruptible beauty. Proverbs 31:30
- Gentle & quiet spirit. 1 Thessalonians 4:9-12.
- Precious in God’s sight. 1 Samuel 16:7
Precious Promises. 2 Peter 1:2-11.
- Promises in his word 2 Peter 1:2
- Through which we partake of the Divine Nature
- Result of accepting his promises. 2 Peter 1:5-7
Are you seeking the precious things like Peter?
If you abound in these, you will not be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of Jesus
- You will make your call and election sure.
- You will never stumble . 2 Peter 1:10
- You will enter heaven. 2 Peter 1:11
If you lack these you are blind and have forgotten your former cleansing. 2 Peter 1:9
2012 PTP Sermon Swap, Larry Pasley Photo Credit Pxhere.com - CCO