The Seed of Jerusalem, The Establishment of the Church
Is the church of Christ a man made institution?
- Matthew 16:18
- Matthew 16:16 The confession of faith in Christ as the Son of God is the foundation on which the church would be built.
Jesus, the Christ, declared that He would build His Church. the one church, the Church of Christ
The Correct Time of the Establishment of The Church Belonging to Christ
- Galatians 4:4 the fullness of time was come.
- Isaiah 2:2,3 in the last days
- Micah 4:1,2 in the last days
Location of the Church's Establishment
- Isaiah 2:2,3
- from Jerusalem
- I Timothy 3:15
- Micah 4:1,2 many nations will come to mountain of the Lord, to Jerusalem
- Zechariah 1:16, Jerusalem
- Luke 24:46-48 Christ is risen and commends the apostles to preach repentance and remission in His name beginning at Jerusalem.
Signs of the Establishment of the Church
- John 14:26 The Comforter would come
- John 16:7 the spirit
- Act 1:8,9 Jesus stated that it would come with power from on high, then He ascended.
- Luke 24:49 the apostles would be endued with power
- Acts 1:12 after His ascension the apostles returned to Jerusalem
- Acts 2:1-4 clothed with power from on high
- Acts 2:14-32 fulfillment of the prophecy
- Joel 2:28-32 directly quoted by Peter in acts 2:14 “in the last days”
3 dispensations of religion
- Patriarchal Age
- Mosaic Age
- Christian Age … the last days
The church was established at the right place and the right time.
The fulfillment of prophecy: time, location, and power
showing the establishment of the church of Christ.
- Acts 2:36.
- Acts 2:38. Repentance and remission preached
- ref. Luke 24:46
- Acts 2:41-47
The Lord’s house, the church, was established as had been prophesied.
The church that was established by Jesus is the Only church that we must be a member of. How can we know what church that exists today is that same church?
The Apostacy (or Great Falling Away) from the Church of Christ
- Acts 20:29-30 Paul warns the elders at Ephesus of a falling away.
If a church is established out of that great apostasy, the falling away, how can that church be the church Jesus established?
- 1 Timothy 4:1-4
We want to be sure that the church we are a member of is sowing the same seed as the seed the apostles of Christ sowed on the day of Pentecost and throughout the first century. Are we, then sowing the same seed that the apostles sowed.
The new testament church is not a denomination. Denominations exist because they were sowed by men seeking to change, or establish their own way of doing things. But, the church that Christ established will always remain as long as the seed remains, Mark 13:31 the word will never pass away.
To be in the church of Christ we mus do what was established. 1 Corinthians 3:6-8 tells us that Paul planted, Apollos watered, but God gives increase. So we can see that the sowing of the seed that Christ established means that we so the same seed that is founded on the deity of Christ.
Today, you can be part of the same church if you follow the pattern established in the New Testament as began in Acts 2 that teaches the repentance and remission of sins, through baptism in the name of Jesus the Christ. Then God will give the increase adding to the church those who are being saved.