Psychologists tell us that we are only born with two fears. The fear of falling down, and the fear of loud noise. I imagine there are quite a few phobias in the world. Christ came to deliver us from our fear. When the Bible speaks of fear there are two fears discussed.
- Ecclesiastes 12;13-14
- Acts 9:31
- Hebrews 11:7
Godly fear is a fearful respect of the Lord. This fear leads us to:
Godly Fear Leads Us
- Holiness, 2 Corinthians 7:1
- Working our own salvation, Philippians 2:12
- Evangelism, 2 Corinthians 5:11
Fear that is synonymous with dread, anxiety, fright, is not a fear that Christians should have.
- Psalm 91:5
- Luke 12:32
This fear is not the same as caution. The fear of an accident or disease might lead us to cautiously seek to prevent us from those things. But, a fear that incapacitates us is fear that does not trust.
Fear of Failure
- Matthew 25:25, one talent man, in fear did nothing.
- 1 Corinthians 15:58, the Lord has promised us success in the Lord.
Fear of the Unknown
Or, fear of the future can stand in the way of Christians’ duty to be active, vibrant and growing.
Fear of Responsibility
- Matthew 25:25 Like the one talent man, we can let fear prevent us from doing what we can.
- Deuteronomy 1:22-46, the Israelites feared because of the 10 unfaithful spies.
Fear will keep us from our responsibility to be fishers of men.
- Luke 5:10, 11
Fear of Old Age
- Leviticus 19:32, honor the hoary head
- Proverbs 16:31, hoary head a crown of glory if found in the way of righteousness
Some great accomplishments have happened because of the elderly. Old age is an indication that one is nearer to home, that heavenly home. Immortality is not something to be afraid of.
Fear of Insecurity
- Matthew 6:24-34
- Psalm 37:25
- Philippians 4:19
Fear of Social Anxiety
- Luke 12:4-7
- Matthew 26:69-75
- Galatians 2:11-14
Fear of Death
- Hebrews 2:15
- Hebrews 9:27
- Philippians 1:21-23
- Psalm 23:4
These are some of the things men tend to be afraid of.
- Makes life a wretched experience, 1 Samuel 28
- Prevents one from doing the will of God, Exodus 3:3,4
- Renders one useless. As Christians we need people willing to stand up for the cause of Christ.
- Brings on the very thing we fear., Peter falling while walking on water because his fear caused him to look down.
- Will cause a person to be lost. Revelation 21:8, an incapacitating fear from serving God.
How do we overcome fear?
- Remember fear is prohibited, Proverbs 28:1
- Enthrone Christ, 1 Peter 3:14
- Put your faith and trust in God, Isaiah 26:3
- Conceive of God as a Father,
- Recognize His help is nigh, Matthew 28:28
- Never take counsel of your fears, Philippians 4:13
The greatest fear we ought to have it to be lost in the fires of hell, the second death. The only way to overcome that fear is through obedience to Jesus Christ.
We must believe, and act upon that belief, repenting of our sins. We need to confess our faith, and be baptized to be put into Christ. In Him there is spiritual blessings both in this life and the one to come.